Finding the Best Fit: Choosing Between Implants and a Fat Transfer to the Breasts
If you’re one of the thousands of women wishing you were well endowed but can’t decide whether you want to sign up for breast augmentation, then let’s look at your options. Should you consider implants or a fat transfer to the breasts?
Alan Greenberg, M.D., founder of North Texas Cosmetic Surgery, is board certified in cosmetic surgery of the body, breasts and extremities. He’s also board certified in Obstetrics and Gynecology; which means he is extraordinarily familiar with the female body. Dr. Greenberg has helped women in Frisco, Plano and Dallas chose the best procedure for their build and personal goals.
When is a fat transfer to the breasts best?
If you have always wished you could move fat from problem areas to your breasts, you can now get a 2-for-1 deal. Dr. Greenberg removes excess fat from your abdomen and other areas via liposuction, processes the fat and then adds it to your breasts. You may consider a fat transfer to the breasts if you want to:
- Boost your bra cup one size by adding volume
- Balance uneven sizes of breasts
- Replace an indentation from a lumpectomy
- Have a natural shape and feel, since breasts are mostly fatty tissue
- Alleviate concerns about the body rejecting or reacting to a foreign object, since you are using your own fat
- Avoid scarring since no incision is required
- Recognize that some of the added fat will be reabsorbed by the body
When are implants your best option?
Despite what you may have heard about the risks of breast implants, today’s products are much safer. Patients can choose products filled with a saline solution that will not harm the body if they happen to leak. Or there are silicone gel-filled implants that come in a variety of shapes and textures and are less likely to rupture than earlier versions. You may opt for breast implants if you:
- Want to see immediate results
- Desire an increase of two cup sizes or more
- Require a specific size or shape
- Agree to modest scarring since implants are larger and must be surgically inserted
- Realize that there is a very slight risk that hardened scar tissue can form around the implant or that the implant could rupture or require removal
Discover whether implants or a fat transfer to the breasts are right for you
Breast augmentation is one of the world’s most popular cosmetic surgery procedures and you have many choices to consider. Contact Dr. Greenberg to talk about your unique interests and find out whether implants or a fat transfer to the breasts best fit your goals.