Getting Back to the Pre-Pregnancy You
Summer is a busy time for vacations, family visits and much needed relaxation, but it’s also the most popular time for child births. The majority of births in the United States take place from July to September, which means afterward, many new mothers begin working to get back into pre-baby shape.
So where to begin?
• Walking is a great fitness routine for new moms, and one that can be done with baby in tow, or in this case, in stroller. Walking increases energy and may even reduce risks of postpartum depression.
• Breastfeeding burns calories. It’s not a recommended practice to decrease calorie intake after giving birth, especially if breastfeeding; however, breastfeeding does burns an enormous number calories, from 500 to 700. Women can actually increase the number of calories they take in and still lose weight safely.
• Say no to empty-calorie foods and focus on healthy eating habits like lean proteins, whole grains and fresh fruits and vegetables. Nutritious foods help heal the body and increase energy, which is exactly what a mother needs to keep up with a newborn.
• Stay hydrated to keep the metabolism from slowing down. It’s important to drink plenty of water throughout the day; in fact, keeping a bottle of water within arm’s reach is a good rule of thumb.
• Getting plenty of sleep can help with weight loss as well. Taking care of a newborn is exhausting, and a sleepy mother when hungry may reach for, or even binge on, high-fat, high sugar foods rather than healthier options. Try to sleep when the baby sleeps to keep the energy level and metabolism high.
No matter how eager you are to get back in pre-pregnancy shape, it’s important to take your time and not take up more strenuous activities like jogging or running for at least six to eight weeks.
If exercise and dieting don’t quite achieve the pre-baby figure you once had, consider cosmetic surgery options like liposuction, abdominal liposuction or lipoabdominoplasty to create the contours you desire. New mothers may also want to consider a Mommy Makeover, available at North Texas Cosmetic Surgery. To learn more, contact Dr. Alan Greenberg for a consultation.